Simple to make. Even easier to eat!
For those with a serious affection for chocolate, fall in love with this recipe for the ultimate Valentine’s Day dessert — the Flourless Chocolate Cake! Suggested by our chefs at Plateia Restaurant who love it because it “has just three ingredients, tastes amazing” and on top of that, is gluten-free, an added bonus for the gluten-free crowd. While it’s straightforward to make, with so few ingredients, the quality of components here really does matter. Rich tasting and impressive-looking, it tastes best the next day after it’s been chilled overnight.
FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
Yield: One 8” Cake
- 8 Eggs
- 1 pound Semisweet Chocolate
- 8 ounces Butter
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8” round cake pan (without seams) and line with a parchment paper circle.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the whole eggs until they double in volume (about 5 minutes).
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a water bath.
- Fold 1/3 of the eggs into the chocolate mixture until only a few streaks of eggs are visible.
- Fold remaining eggs in two parts until the mixture is completely mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top evenly.
- Bake at 325 degrees F in a hot water bath. For the hot water bath: Place the cake pan in a larger pan on the oven rack. Fill the larger pan with boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake until the cake has risen slightly and edges are beginning to set, and the center temperature reaches 140 degrees F (approximately 20–25 minutes).
- Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Warm slightly to remove from pan (dipping the pan in hot water works well).
- For garnish, try powdered sugar, cocoa powder, sweetened whipped cream and/or berries.