BLUE & GOLD MAKE GREEN
The Luskin Conference Center has taken ambitious steps toward integrating sustainability into all aspects of its facility and operations. In line with the University of California’s comprehensive sustainability policy, the Conference Center has adopted sustainability commitments and goals in the following areas:
- Green Building Design — LEED Platinum Certified
- Clean Energy and Climate Protection
- Sustainable Water Systems
- Recycling and Waste Management
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Sustainable Food Service
- Sustainable Transportation
LEAN, GREEN MEETING MACHINE
The Luskin Conference Center utilized the latest design/construction practices and technologies to conserve energy and water, and to maximize the use of recycled and renewable materials. As a result, the facility has achieved the coveted Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum Certification. LEED is the most widely used green building rating system in the world, and the certification process provides independent verification of a building’s sustainable features. LEED is the triple bottom line in action, benefiting people, planet, and profit through the creation of resource-efficient, high-performing, healthy, and cost-effective buildings. The Luskin Conference Center is one of over 30 LEED certified buildings on campus, and features a number of green building elements:
- Ten percent of the building materials are comprised of recycled materials and 10% were procured from within 500 miles.
- All materials used in the interior of the building are low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC).
- Fifty percent of the wood used is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified from sustainably managed forests.
- The construction team diverted approximately 90% of construction waste from landfill through the use of advanced recycling techniques.
LIGHTS. WATER. ACTION!
The Luskin Conference Center has surpassed California’s stringent Title 24 energy code standards by over 20% through strategies such as LED lighting, occupancy sensors, natural ventilation, high-efficiency mechanical systems, cool white roofing and high-performance windows. A portion of its electricity is generated on-site at the UCLA Co-Generation Plant that is partially fueled by carbon neutral bio-gas. UCLA is committed to achieving carbon neutrality by 2025 through conservation, efficiency, renewable energy and emission offsets.
In an effort to reduce water use, all guest rooms feature high efficiency sinks, showers and toilets. The Luskin Conference Center’s water-efficient landscape irrigation and plumbing fixtures yield 30% savings over baseline code requirements. Additionally, linen-free meeting spaces and linen reuse programs support water conservation.
Please help conserve energy and water by using these resources responsibly.
WASTE NOT, WANT NOT
The Luskin Conference Center strives to be a zero waste facility through the proper sorting and management of all waste materials, thus eliminating the need to send waste to a landfill. Please support this effort by sorting waste materials into the proper waste bins: Recycling, Compost or Trash.
- Recycling: All plastics, paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum and metal items.
- Compost: All leftover food, food-soiled paper products and compostable room service containers.
- Trash: True trash comprises a very small portion of our waste stream: personal hygiene items, chip bags, foil-lined wrappers.
In addition, the Luskin Conference Center donates all leftover shower amenities to Clean the World, an organization that recycles these items and distributes them to those in need.
SMART TODAY FOR A BRILLIANT TOMORROW
The Luskin Conference Center is committed to identifying and procuring sustainable supplies, ranging from sustainable bath amenities to Green Seal-certified cleaning chemicals. The Luskin Center is proud to offer biodegradable, plant-based shower amenities that are paraben and sulfate-free and are never tested on animals. The tubes contain 40% recycled plastic and the cartons are made with 70% recycled materials.
The Luskin Conference Center’s in-house restaurant, Plateia, strives to source fresh, seasonal ingredients, with a minimum of 20% coming from sustainable, socially responsible and humane sources. Plateia utilizes a defined list of criteria to identify sustainable ingredients:
- Local — grown within 500 miles of campus
- Environmentally friendly
- USDA Certified Organic
- Fair Trade Certified
- Humane — raised cage-free or free-range, for example
GREEN MEANS GO
The Luskin Conference Center participates in the UCLA Sustainable Transportation program which aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with transport to, from and around the campus. The program features campus shuttles, a bike sharing program and Flyaway Shuttle service from Los Angeles International Airport using a 100% natural gas-powered van. Luskin Conference Center guests also have access to two car-sharing Zipcars. Please inquire at the Front Desk for more information on how to take advantage of these sustainable transportation options.